Pages

Friday, March 16, 2012

Peace House

Yesterday something unique happened.  I was invited into the Peace House for a talk that an international author/saxophonist was giving on peace.  Lured in by the promise of music and the quirky peace pole and friendly people greeting me outside I thought I’d give the talk a shot and went in. How did I find myself here? I just happened to change up my usual walk home.  

When entering the house, you feel history... as well as a bit of controversy.  The raw brick walls and wooden staircases of old DC are still there, among brochure tables and a corner for speakers to perform.  Little did I know until this morning while googling away that the home was actually owned by Thomas Hallenback, aka permanent White House fixture and professional activist.  If you’ve been by the White House, you know this guy.  Currently, the Peace House is home to a few Occupiers (and Concepción- Hallenback’s old friend) who run workshops and talks out of the home on peaceful protesting.  

On this day, the room was full of young occupiers and a large number of “middle-classish”, middle agers who had come to here what the author had to say.  Was that a reporter I saw in the corner too??  Not what I expected.  The talk ran long and alas, I didn’t get to hear the music.  I did leave content with my decision to stop and listen.  Did I agree with all of the ideals and lifestyles there?  No.  Did I agree with some of them?  Yes.  Would I stop by again?  Maybe. 

I wanted to include a picture of the "stage", as I'll call it, where the events are held.  Alas, my usb chord hasn’t come in yet!  This picture is from occupypeacehouse.org.






No comments:

Post a Comment