Pages

Saturday, March 31, 2012

ULTRA!


Hello again!  After Ultra and the flu I am finally back on this planet.  Ultra was epic... Actually the whole trip was essentially perfect, and by perfect, of course there were a few adventures (some may call glitches) along the way that made it perfect.  


Before I get to these adventures I wanted to back it up two Wednesdays ago- the day before our flight- so that I can shamelessly give myself an excuse for things to come a paragraph or two down.  Most of us know apartment living.  I myself seem to be perfecting the art of basement apartment living and have gotten really lucky with the lovely flatmates that live above us.  In general, they are very quiet, respectful, yada yada yada.  


Well, as I was preparing to fall asleep on this one Wednesday, the day before our flight, at 6 am, having to wake up at 4 am, our flatmates decided to party.  Oh jeez.  I don't mean a few friends over for a chat, but rather an Ultra-type bass drumming music beat blaring from upstairs.  After hours of this, at 2 am, and after much deliberation, I finally had to don my robe, head outside, knock on their doors and ask if they could turn down the music so that I could get two hours of sleep.  On that note, they were very gracious about it and already winding down so at 2 am I finally get to sleep, excited for the flight the next day!


So on to Miami...  The festival wasn't until Friday so we had all day Thursday to enjoy the city and beach.  I didn't really know what to expect the "real" Miami to be like, but what I saw I liked!  Blue skies, water, white sand and the beaches weren't to crowded.  Paradise after an early morning.  We headed out to walk the strip for lunch which was incredible.  Vegas by the sea...  South Beach is insanity, a tourist trap, but why not party (and I mean party hard) at noon when you are on vacation?!  TIP: Always ask for rail liquor when in Miami- do not assume that "vodka" means rail (I thought that was standard?  No?)  My vodka/soda/splash of cranberry with a lemon (**signature drink) cost us $15 a pop as the waiter took "vodka" to mean Grey Goose.  With that said, I did tell Alec that it was one of the best I'd ever had.





Skipping ahead to dinner (and then on to Ultra)...  Michael's Genuine Food and Drink was delicious!  GO IF YOU ARE IN MIAMI!  We literally saw a fisherman show up at 7:30 pm with the day's catch- a 4 or 5 foot fish- that the chef paid for and took right back to the kitchen to start cooking.  In fact, almost everything at the restaurant is sustainable and local.  Ceviche, Octopus and Chorizo Pizza, Mussels in an amazing broth= mouth watering goodness.  We left happy and ready to conquer the next three days of (insert amazing adjective here) that were coming our way.


So back to the reason why I had to give myself an excuse for not being too on top of it the morning that we left.  Sigh.  Friday morning I woke up somewhat early having dreamt that I had left the tickets at home.  In DC.  As I got up and started to look through my bag I realized that I DID leave the tickets in DC!!!  Who does that?  Me.  Stomach sunk, tried to hold it together and had my mom overnight them (thanks Mom and Nicola!!) preparing Alec and myself for the fact that we were very probably going to miss at the very least the first day.  My excuse- I was too tired when I woke up early on Thursday to catch our flight to remember them???  Well, the gracious folks at Ultra cancelled out those tickets just in time to line up for Day 1 and we were in!  


Ultra (aka UMF) is one of those hard to explain type "activities".  I guess that I'll start with the stats- 150,000 (or more) people in one place, partying at Bayfront Park framed by the bay and skyscrapers, 40 of the worlds best DJs.  A lot of neon, most clothing optional, the more ridiculous the better.  Glow sticks?  check  Party goers waving their home flags from around the world?  check  Little John?  check  Madonna?  check  


Madonna and Avicii

My favorite UMF comparison comes from a guy that we made friends with while waiting in line that first day.  He cleverly wrote a paper for college comparing Ultra to Woodstock- in my opinion a perfect one to make.  What didn't I see while at Ultra?  Fights, disrespect, nor any other negativity.  It was a feat to see that many people all in love with each other.  


My second UMF comparison?  As Alec and I broke it down we realized that electronic beats speak to the primal nature of human beings.  The native americans danced to the drum beat so why not us?  And we did.  For three amazing days.  


With that said, Alec sent me this article the other day and this post.  Sums up Ultra nicely.  


A perfect trip.

Partying with friends from home





No comments:

Post a Comment