Pages

Friday, April 6, 2012

Viva España

Cheers (chin chin!) to Jen and Brian as they embark on two weeks through Spain and Portugal! 

In celebration of the trip I wish I was joining them on, I thought that I’d relive a wonderful dinner that Brittany and I shared the other week at Jaleo, one of José Andrés’ Spanish tapas restaurants in the city (we actually went to the one in Bethesda… not DC).  

Endibias con queso de cabra y naranjas

José Andrés is a pretty cool guy: a world renowned chef who trained under Ferran Adria, was recently voted Best DC chef in City Paper, great happy hours, just launched the food truck Pepe, etc etc.  His food tastes deliciosa too! 

On our visit we munched on happy hour tapas and sipped on sangria.  As we ate, it struck me that his Endibias con queso de cabra y naranjas (Endive with goat cheese, oranges and almonds), would make an amazing and easy at home appetizer so here it is:

Separate out each endive leaf to make a boat for the tasty ingredients inside;
Cut an orange (or clementine?) slice and lay it in the boat (Im normally a peeler, but cutting the fruit will best juice up the app);
Add some goat cheese and almonds on top


Something else about José that I found interesting and makes me feel better as I fail at this seasonal cooking schtick?  He confides that while he tries to cook local whenever he can, there are just certain times wen cooking Spanish food (or any other cuisine for that matter) that local products won’t cut it…  He doesn’t skip the Spanish imported cheeses or French champagne when local foods can’t embody the tastes and feelings he’s recreating.  I don’t remember when or where I read about this, but I did find a comparable interview here that he gave in Miami which includes some other interesting José ideals.  

Pepe!

Happy Weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment